A is for...

Athina, Agora, Akropoli, and all the other beautiful sights and sounds of this gorgeous country (and Aaaamazing food). Unfortunately, my mom brought the wrong wires for the "good" camera, so I wasn't able to transfer the hundreds of gorgeous shots I took today upon getting back. This also means that this bloggie will have to be settle for pictures from the "lesser" camera for the rest of our trip to Greece. Because I didn't realize this until we got back tonight, all the delectable food pictures I also took today were all for naught.

However, instead of trying to recap my day in words, I'll just do it in pictures instead. All I can say is that my breath was taking anyway so many times today, and that was more than the 40°C heat we faced today...

First up, a yummy light breakie to fuel me in the morning (the only available food pic of the day):


Then, a lot of breathtaking this:

Theater of Dionysus at the foot of the Acropolis

And this:

Temple of Zeus from Acropolis

The one and only Parthenon

We had to come back to the hotel for a quick shower amongst other things, and lunch was had. It consisted in three beautiful juicy figs bought at the Plaka, along with a smuggled French peach, before we went back out for:

Some serious stoa action at the Ancient Agora

And the place that stole my heart away (and that I took 1,000 better pictures of... @$(*%)!!!!)

The Temple of Poseidon at Sounio by sunset

Dinner was had on the way from Sounio back to Athens at a lovely seaside restaurant were my parents shared a very lovely smelling grilled fish (while I picked at the garnish tomatoes) and were we shared last night's favourites: the infamous foodgasmo beans, stuffed grape leaves, more eggplant salad (that tasted more like baba ghanouj tonight than yesterday's), and fried zucchini (which my parents ended eating because I didn't know they would be battered in egg). I've vowed to try something new tomorrow night for culture's sake, despite the fact that I know I could eat these dishes over and over until we leave... I figured I could become an expert of Greek "giant beans" and eggplant salad, like I once was with European coffee and lemon ice cream.

Dessert of course was had in the Plaka where my dad and I shared another baklava (which was quite possibly even drippy-honey-goodness-er than last night's) and my favourite: kataifi.

Another variation of wheat and honey goodness

Tomorrow, we are waking up bright and early to go and consult the Oracle! Goodnight!

Comments

  1. Replying from last post.Unfortunately I don't go out much in Plaka (MAJOR tourist trap!)so I do the same, the only suggestion I can give is to at least once eat at a taverna with live Greek music, it's really good, especially the ones where you can dance.And don't eat at Plaka too many times. Check some articles online for tourist traps I'd say and remember don't let them just put something on your table and then just charge you (too much) for it. And in stores BARGAIN always. If you like Plaka though I think you 'll like Monastiraki as well which is right next to Plaka with really nice tavernas and stores too, and Thisio for the cafes. Also to avoid the heat and do a quick tour of Athens I 'd recommend you to use the tourist bus, and also the little train which goes around Plaka, Monastiraki,Thisio and the like slow enough to take pictures if you like but it helps to avoid the heat.Are you planning to visit the islands close to Attiki (Athens) ?
    Hope you have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replying from last post.Unfortunately I don't go out much in Plaka (MAJOR tourist trap!)so I do the same, the only suggestion I can give is to at least once eat at a taverna with live Greek music, it's really good, especially the ones where you can dance.And don't eat at Plaka too many times. Check some articles online for tourist traps I'd say and remember don't let them just put something on your table and then just charge you (too much) for it. And in stores BARGAIN always. If you like Plaka though I think you 'll like Monastiraki as well which is right next to Plaka with really nice tavernas and stores too, and Thisio for the cafes. Also to avoid the heat and do a quick tour of Athens I 'd recommend you to use the tourist bus, and also the little train which goes around Plaka, Monastiraki,Thisio and the like slow enough to take pictures if you like but it helps to avoid the heat.Are you planning to visit the islands close to Attiki (Athens) ?
    Hope you have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Cooking is like Piracy

Eat: Turmeric Milk, the perfect night time relaxant

Dehydrator Giveaway