High Raw Pumpkin Ice Cream

I actually find it really bizarre to eat certain foods out of season. I think it's my body recalling the ancestral days when we could only eat what was only readily available given the time of the year. Eating watermelon and strawberries in the winter? As much as I love them, that's just plain wrong... so is eating pumpkin in the late spring/summer.

Okay, so I know lots of you out there love pumpkin, so you might disagree and want to eat it at all hours of the day and all seasons of the year. That's totally cool, and also exactly why I busted out this high raw pumpkin ice cream recipe yesterday to make Andrew happy:

High Raw Pumpkin Ice Cream
Yield: About 4 servings.

2 C cashews, soaked
2 C water
1 T of coconut oil, melted
2 T maple syrup
1 inch chunk of ginger
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum (optional)
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Directions:
1. Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend til smooth.
2. Place in an ice cream maker and follow directions!
3. Once it's done, top with "candied nuts"*.

*pecans or walnuts mix with salt, cinnamon, and maple syrup (if you have time, they're better dehydrated)!

For those who might be wondering if it's necessary, xanthan gum is apparently used in a lot of low-fat ice cream recipes to keep the creamy factor in, while leaving all the actual fatness out... 

This recipe was a little higher in fat than I would personally prefer (I wouldn't mix cashews AND coconut oil), but it was modelled after the world's best raw ice cream by Cashewtopia. We tried a bunch of their flavours in DC a couple weeks ago and it changed my raw ice cream world forever. They both used gums and multiple sources of vegan fats, so I thought it was time to up my creaminess game and imitate them. It worked!

Have a great week and Happy Victoria day to all you Commonwealth folk!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Cooking is like Piracy

Eat: Turmeric Milk, the perfect night time relaxant

Dehydrator Giveaway