Fall Meets Summer: Pumpkin FroYo

Once again, three cheers to the power of positive groupthink. I've been falling on more and more blogs over the past couple weeks talking about the advent of Fall, otherwise known as the return of pumpkin season. 'Lo and behold, I get an email from VegNews that has both the words "pumpkin" and "frozen yogurt" in the same sentence. Heck yeah! THEN, I accompany Andrew to his shift at our food co-op and I find organic soy yogurt there for the taking AND one remaining can of organic pumpkin puree. Well if that isn't a sign that the Universe wants me to make frozen pumpkin treats, I don't know what is.

I highly recommend this recipe! The first step in the original Veg News recipe is to strain the yogurt through cheesecloth overnight to get rid of excess water. My soygurt was so thick that it barely let off any water at all... so I didn't get much out of that step. Also, I'm not particularly a fan of agave (this is a good article about some of my reasoning, aka. highly processed, fractured sugars, etc.). Here's my take on the original with only a few tweaks:

(with an Eat Dance Live twist)
Yield: Makes 1 Pint

3 C plain soy yogurt
scant 1/2 C maple syrup
1/2 vanilla bean pod (or 1 tsp vanilla)
1 C pumpkin puree
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1 small chunk of fresh ginger
dehydrate/roasted spiced nuts, for topping*

*chopped pecans and walnuts, mixed with maple syrup, salt, cinnamon and clove, then dehydrated/baked

1. In blender (or bowl), mix all the ingredients.
2. Freeze mixture as per your ice cream maker's directions.
3. Top with spiced nuts and enjoy!

Comments

  1. looks pretty yummy girlie! save some autumn kitchie energy for our pie, soup and yummy-ness extraviganza! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! You really get the best of both worlds!!  I will def have to give this a try, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Cooking is like Piracy

Dehydrator Giveaway

Eat: Turmeric Milk, the perfect night time relaxant