"I'm just a little black rain cloud, hovering over the honey tree..."


That was a Pooh quote of course :)

Today's topic is honey. Raw honey, wild honey, local honey... you name it, I love it! I'm a honey fanatic! Honey is antibacterial, antiseptic, antibiotic, and antifungal. It never goes bad, and does a world of good both when ingested and topically! Move over Purell, why use you when honey is your more eco-friendly and yummy alternative?

Honey is by far the best sweetener for you, especially if it's raw. The enzymes in raw honey have strong antioxidant properties. They help promote your digestive system, and boost your general health and energy. Just one teaspoon a day and you don't ever have to get sick! It's cleansing, it's a tonic, it's a miracle cure! Great thing is, it's not hard to get some every day. Put in your tea, your raw crackers, cookies, cakes, the possibilities are endless!

When used topically, it can cure skin rashes, burns, and scars. It works as a great moisturizing mask, and because it's antibacterial, it could even be used as soap! It's also great against blemishes and acne if you dab it on the affected area overnight. It's good for your teeth, gums, and general oral health when ingested.

My favourite kind of honey by far is Really Raw Honey. Because it's unprocessed, it has all the good stuff combined into one convenient jar: the honey, the pollen, the propolis, and even pieces of honeycomb and all of their wonderful enzymes! Raw honey has the most wonderfully rich taste and the most perfect creamy and smooth texture.

Great thing is, everyone knows I love honey, so everyone who loves me always bring me honey back from their travels. Currently in my cupboard are Moroccan thyme honey and rosemary honey, and acacia, white heather, wildflower honey, lime, and lavender honey from the South of France, and a HUGE jar of Really Raw Honey. We also recently finished blueberry honey from my best friend, who bought it locally during a trip to NJ. Why a need for so many different kinds of honey? Because my pantry is my medicine cabinet:


You can become quite the honey connoisseur if you want to. Every different type of honey has different properties, tastes, and textures. I have acquired some honey knowledge thanks to my raw uncooking adventures. Sometimes a stronger honey like wildflower honey works better if you're trying to kick up the flavors in your recipe. If you want something more gentle and mellow use lavender honey. If you want something more zesty use herbal honeys like thyme or rosemary... My mom brought me back a wonderful brochure from France with the properties of every different kind of honey I currently have in stock. I didn't even know that some honeys are more stimulating than others, and therefore should not be used before going to sleep. Here's are some examples so you get the gist of what I'm saying:

Lavender Honey: Good for fatigue, migraines, burns, scars, insect bites, cuts
Acacia Honey: Best honey for diabetics because it's lowest in fructose
Lime Honey: Calming on the nervous system, helps against insomnia, the best honey for bed time teas
Thyme Honey: One of the strongest antiseptics, great for lung, urinary or intestinal distress, also a stimulant
Wild Heather Honey: best to prevent or cure urinary tract infections, and helps keep the prostate healthy, also a diuretic

... and the list goes one, isn't that fascinating? I thought it was, and can't wait to learn more! And don't even get me started on bee pollen! Now go out there and pick yourself up some raw honey, the expense is always worth it when you know you won't ever need pharmaceuticals again!

P.S. For another healthy treat that can be used both externally and internally, check out Avery's latest Virgin Coconut Oil giveaway from Tropical Traditions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Cooking is like Piracy

Eat: Turmeric Milk, the perfect night time relaxant

Dehydrator Giveaway