Earth Day Power Breakfast

What?! A non-smoothie breakfast?! Yes, I do recognize the importance of a good hearty breakfast every once in a while... okay, you caught my bluff. I have smoothies every day. I actually make these for Andrew on the days I have my weird spirulina banana whips (those are kind of smoothie like). Also to clarify, some of you have wondered if Andrew ever cooks (or uncooks), and why I'm always the one making all the food. First off, yes he can. He makes the meanest jambalaya you've ever had, is the pancake master of his (and now my) family, is (or was) a vegan cheesecake master, wooed me with the most amazing breakfast in bed in the early days of our relationship, and that's only the beginning.

To tell you the truth, I'm kind of a kitchen hog. If I had been born in the 1950s, I think I could have been very content as a happy housewife. There's something I find absolutely fulfilling about feeding my man, and keeping him happy through food. I love winning people over by presenting them with beautiful, tasty food. It's my way of saying "I love you."Also, don't get me wrong, we also love cooking together. Right now though, our kitchen is the size of the smallest closet in our last place (that's not an exaggeration). When we move to a new place with a hopefully bigger kitchen in the next few months, joint-uncooking will definitely make a comeback.

That was a very roundabout way of saying, "I made oatmeal for breakfast," but there you have it.


Power Breakfast Oatmeal
1 C (or just enough to get the flakes mushy after a few minutes) boiled water
1/2 C oat flakes + 1/2 C spelt flakes
1/3 C raisins
1/4 C dried currants
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp each of ground cardamom and allspice
1/4 tsp each of ground cloves and ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp raw honey
1 tbsp hemp seeds
1/2 an apple, grated
handful of blueberries
(extra protein option: 1 heaping tbsp hemp protein)

1. Mix all ingredients except water, honey, hemp seeds, and apples (and protein powder) in bowl
2. Pour enough hot water into bowl and stir until the water is more or less soaked up to make the consistency of regular oatmeal
3. Stir in honey, then hemp seeds, (and hemp protein) and mix
4. Top with grated apples and blueberries

And of course:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Cooking is like Piracy

Dehydrator Giveaway

Eat: Turmeric Milk, the perfect night time relaxant