5 Awesome Weekend Happenings

Just a quick hello to share 5 of the awesome things that have made up my weekend (yes, 3 out of 5 of them are food... what did you expect?):

1) Ottawa Thai Massage's 3 hour Couple's Workshop 

The workshop was run by our amazing and absurdly multi-talented friend, Devin Johnstone.
For a really quick idea of what it is: Thai Massage mainly involves deep stretching and massage. It's usually done on the floor or mat, and the masseuse guides the receiver into a variety of yoga-esque/stretching positions and then applies firm and/or rhythmic pressure like a normal massage. While that made sound a little strenuous, it isn't at all. It's really relaxing, and after all, I'm one to love a nice juicy stretch.

We absolutely loved it! It was broken down into partner awareness exercises, a quick partner meditation, and then down to the dirty work. It was absurdly relaxing, and a wonderful way to connect. I may or may not have gotten a little emotional... We'll definitely be practicing what we learned as often as we remember!

2) Angela's Amazing Parsnip Fries
I originally thought these sounded kinda weird, but they are SO. GOOD... like I want to go back into the kitchen and use up my entire of bag of parsnips just to make these...

3) Our final fall harvest

It was made up of Andrew's lovingly planted heirloom potatoes and lots and lots of my green tomatoes! Oh Canada and your absurdly early frosts... FYI, for people who also planted their tomatoes too late in the season, here are 10 Things to do with Green Tomatoes...  I found some of these tricks pretty handy. Either way though, there is something so fantastic about growing your own food. I only didn't have to buy tomatoes all summer, and I can't wait to see what we'll be able to do with a "real" yard.

The potatoes were amazing, and I made do with all the green tomatoes by slicing them up and baking them with a little olive oil, pepper, rosemary, and sea salt. Yuummmmmyyy!
4) Shirataki noodles

Just discovered these at the Herb and Spice today! They're made from soybeans, and are gluten-free, non-GMO, vegan, about 40 calories a pack (about 4 times less than their "real" noodle kin). They're deliciously satisfying to curb pasta cravings! Sure they're a little processed for me, but I have no qualms with non-GMO soy. Once in a blue moon these types of things won't hurt me, instead they'll be delicious, and in my belly. I served them up with a raw avocado pesto tomato sauce,  broccoli, red pepper, my green tomatoes, and caramelized onions. Mm mm good.
This is what happened to them:
5) Starting Bikram Again

Though I've been feeling out of the fitness loop over the last few weeks, I took the bull by the horns and went for Bikram session for the first time in over a year. This was part of my commitment to go a couple times a week over the next month.
While I thought I would be completely out of it, since it had been so long, it actually ended up being amazing. It was just like getting back onto a bike, really. I was a little rusty, but it went very well. I made sure to drink enough water before hand, and sure I got a bit dizzy partway through (I think it's because I went at 6pm and hadn't eaten since about noon) but I poured buckets of sweat for 90 minutes and I left feeling absolutely elated. I forgot just how much I'd come to love Bikram, and how emotionally and physically clean it always leaves me. I'm not actually sure why I ever stopped. I can't wait to again next week!

For those interested, I took this class through Bikram Yoga Ottawa. I think it may be my favourite bikram studio to date. I loved the instructor from my regular haunt back in DC, but this studio was super clean, super friendly, and though it sounds random, they had organic soap dispenser and use filtered water, which was absolute icing on the cake after a sweaty session.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend, and have a great start to this week! My tip of the day: Don't forget to eat breakfast, my kitty certainly never forgets to get in on our morning blueberry-banana-spinach-spirulina smoothie action:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Cooking is like Piracy

Dehydrator Giveaway

Eat: Turmeric Milk, the perfect night time relaxant